Design Finds + Updates

Design Finds + Updates

Spaces // Eva Black

I’m excited to share today’s Spaces feature because, I’m sharing my own workspace! I’ve been kind of hesitant/putting it off because, for one, I wasn’t completely organized and two, sharing your own workspace is kind of hard to do, I give props to all my past participants! Enjoy!

Tell us about yourself as a creative.
I’m a freelance graphic designer, specializing in brand identities and print. I also have a love for all things paper. I’ve dabbled in a lot of different things over the years because I have a drive to try new mediums, I think one of the most important things to do as a designer is trying and learning new things.

Describe your creative journey.
Growing up, I had the best craft cabinet (thanks Mom and Dad!), and I remember always digging through it looking for things to make. But it wasn’t until figuring out what I wanted to go to school for that I found out what graphic design was, and then I was hooked. I began doing a few freelance projects about a year before finishing school and working part time, and as time progressed I decided this was something I wanted to pursue full-time upon finishing school (a HUGE thanks to my Husband for being my biggest fan through this). So at the beginning of the year I jumped in and feel so blessed to have the ability to do it everyday.

Share a little bit about your space.
I work from home from our second bedroom. We recently moved into our place and I’m finally feeling organized in the space. I think the biggest thing that helps the space feel inspirational is being surrounded by personal work/ideas and work of others. I have a small section of Folded on one wall, art I made in school, an idea chalkboard, and I also collect all kinds of inspiration (as you can see from my board).

What’s your favorite thing about your space?
The windows. Our place has the best old crank windows. The light fills the room and that alone makes working inside all day so much easier. I often take little “brain” breaks and catch myself just staring out the windows. I’m so thankful for them — I think they keep me sane.

What’s one thing you think every creative needs in their space?
I think every workspace needs some kind of organization. For sure. I collect all kinds of paper and paper scraps which until recently I had in piles in a corner, but by organizing everything it keeps the space clean. Everything has a place to go. Then, when I need a paint brush, a stapler, tape or stamps, I know where to find them! I also recently started making physical files for all my clients — there’s something about having notes printed out and my personal handwritten notes added that helps me feel on top of it. Having physical files for each client also keeps random files I may have for them together. I know, I know that’s what a computer is for, but I always feel more organized when I can actually hold or make notes on something.

13 comments

1. July 30, 2012

I love your work space, Eva! The casually placed artworks, the strewn cafe lights, the inspiration boards a plenty. Yes, this is wonderful! Thanks for sharing and cheers from London!

2. July 30, 2012

Best workspace I’ve ever seen!
    Love you

3. July 30, 2012

Wow, I love your “spaces” column and it’s so exciting to see your space! It’s amazing!

4. July 30, 2012

Man, oh man! What an inspiring space! I’m getting ready to move into my first apartment & so I’m super excited to start setting up all the different spaces. & This has been added to my inspiration pile :)
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Zie

5. July 31, 2012

Gorgeous! I love your big glass jars, and I too feel much more organized and satisfied with hard copies of important documents, ideas, and scribblings. Scribblings especially. It doesn’t feel right to me to have formative ideas and inspirations in a word document or similar. Sometimes the chaos and personality of handwriting is as important as what it actually says.

6. July 31, 2012

I have that same calendar from Riple Co. – love it! I love how your space transmit a sense of harmony and organization. Beautiful!

7. July 31, 2012

beautiful and amazing windows! i also have a huge windows on my living-room (where i work) and i’m very thankful for those! i am obsessed with light and bright rooms, and this is also my favourite thing about the living room, because light itself keeps my mind a bit clearer!

8. August 1, 2012

I love your posts “Spaces”!!
    And prints, brands and paper are my passion too!

9. August 3, 2012

thank you for sharing your own space!
    loved the photos..especially the one of the window, the jars and the back of your computer. beautiful.

then I read the post and quite literally I’d just been thinking of how I had computer files for some clients and that there’s something satisfying about having real-life file folders for each client instead of relying solely on the computer files. :)

10. August 8, 2012

lovely workspace!!

11. December 19, 2012

@Maria: So happy to hear you love the feature!

12. December 19, 2012

@Asia Thank you! So glad you love them!